There’s been another round of spell changes on the Cataclysm beta, as reported by our friends over at MMO Champion. Since I don’t pretend to be a news site, I’m going to skip the utterly boring Arcane and Frost changes (sorry Arcane and Frost mages) and go straight to the part where we set the world on fire using just the power of our minds. THIS WORLD WILL END IN FLAMES!
- Critical Mass – Your Pyroblast and Scorch spells have a 33/66/100% chance to cause your target to be vulnerable to spell damage, increasing spell critical strike chance against that target by 5% and lasts 30 sec.
- Improved Flamestrike now increases the effect radius of Flamestrike by 1/2 yards instead of increasing its damage.
- Hot Streak now procs when you score 2 non-periodic critical strikes in a row with your Fireball, Frostfire Bolt, Scorch, Fire Blast or Pyroblast spells.
- Fire Power is now a Tier 2 talent. Down from Tier 3. Increases the damage of your Fire spells by 1/2/3% and gives your Flame Orb a 33/66/100% chance to explode at the end of its duration.
- Firestarter *New* – Your Molten Armor allows you to cast the Scorch spell while moving instead of reducing the chance you are critically hit.
- Cauterize – You have a 50/100% chance that an attack which would otherwise kill you will instead bring you to 40% of your maximum health. However, you will burn for 12% of your maximum health every 1 sec for the next 4 sec. This effect cannot occur more than once per minute.
Oh YEAH baby! From the top, Critical Mass gives our Pyroblast the ability to refresh the Scorch debuff. This is awesome. Too awesome for words. Anytime we get a Hot Streak proc, Scorch gets refreshed, simple as that. This brings our target debuffs into line with all the other class’ debuff mechanics, where the debuff is applied by casting something that you’d actually want to cast anyway, and it’s about damn time! Hot Streak itself has been through some changes, it previously procced off any three consecutive spell crits, including DoT crits like Ignite or the Living Bomb ticks, but for now it’s back to what it is on live with any two consecutive direct damage crits, except Living Bomb no longer procs it. Hmmm..
Firestarter on the other hand, made me “lolwut?” It swaps the crit defence on current Molten Armour for the ability to cast Scorch while moving. Yes, you read that right. Yes I chuckled with glee too. And finally, we have Cauterize, a new talent that pretty much gives us our own Guardian Spirit. Yes, that’s exactly what it is. We’re getting Guardian Spirit. I lolled all the way to the reagent shop.
Finally, you may recall from my previous post that I’d been stiffed out of Glory of the Icecrown Raider (25 player) on the weekend by a crappy connection midway through the Arthas kill with Neck Deep In Vile on the cards? Right after I’d published that post I logged into WoW to be greeted by a wave of “Gratz!” in guild chat. Utterly bemused, I noticed I had a message waiting in my mailbox from Customer Support, in response to the ticket I logged on Sunday night. Well… the picture explains all.